Our Associate Members

Professional (Practicing) Member Insurance

The Canadian Kinesiology Alliance (CKA) in affiliation with the provincial kinesiology associations have secured member group insurance coverage through a reputable Canadian insurer covering a broad scope of practice and at low cost to members. Professional Liability Insurance (PLI) along with Commercial General Liability (CGL) and office/business contents add-ons are available through Prolink insurance brokers with the Trisura Insurance Company. Prolink is a large Canadian brokerage located in Ontario specializing in professional liability insurance coverage for groups and non-profit professional organizations such as the BCAK.

In order to purchase coverage through the group provider, you must be a Practicing (Professional) Member of the BCAK, other membership categories are not eligible to purchase insurance. 

Information on the CKA including annual dues can be found here.

Professional Liability (PL) Insurance

All Practicing members must carry PLI with a minimum limit of $2,000,000 per loss, per year, covering the full scope of practice for kinesiologists.

Should you choose to obtain your professional insurance through a provider other than Prolink you will be required to complete a Professional (E&O) Insurance Coverage Verification Form and provide a copy of your policy for verification of coverage equivalency. 

The current policy wordings are made available below to assist you in determining whether the coverage meets your practice requirements.

2017-18 Trisura PLI Policy Wordings

Commercial General Liability (CGL) Insurance 

The purchase of CGL insurance is optional for Practicing members, however, you must purchase PLI through the group plan in order to purchase CGL Insurance through the group plan.

The current policy wordings are made available below to assist you in determining whether the coverage meets your practice requirements.

2017-18 Trisura CGL Policy Wordings

Important Additional Information

The insurance provided through Prolink and Trisura also includes complimentary, no cost legal advice on potential civil claims and Privacy Breaches.

If you require changes to your coverage or wish to obtain access to official previous and current policy wordings please log in to your Prolink account, where you will find access to this information or contact:

Celina De Bruge


Direct: 416-644-7784

Toll Free:  800-663-6828

Prolink offers a variety of insurance products to Practicing members, for a full listing, please follow the link to the website here.Prolink Logo 2017




What is Professional Liability Insurance?

Professional Liability Insurance (PLI) provides protection to kinesiologists and their clients for negligence related to the provision of professional advice and/or service. This type of insurance can also be referred to by terms such as Professional Indemnity (PI), Professional Malpractice" or "Errors and Omissions (E&O)" insurance, which is a common US term.

Members may choose which insurance broker &/or company they wish to obtain insurance through. This choice will depend on a number of factors including, but not limited to the following:

It is the member's responsibility to ensure they obtain coverage that meets with the needs of their specific business practices and the scope of practice for kinesiology as defined by the BCAK. See: Scope of Practice 

What is Commercial General Liability Insurance?

Commercial General Liability or "CGL" insurance protects against liability claims for bodily injury (BI) and property damage (PD) arising out of premises, operations, products, and completed operations, along with advertising and personal injury claims such as libel, slander, copyright or trademark infringement, etc. 

Your decision to purchase CGL coverage will typically depend on a number of factors, including;

  • The type of work you perform,
  • Whether you are self-employed (Own your own business or work as independent or sub-contractor), 
  • If you are an employee who works away from your employer's main place of business, such as client homes, public spaces/gyms or interprovincially.

If you have any concerns, please contact Prolink or another independent broker to discuss your business practices. 

How much coverage should I buy and what are the premiums?

How much insurance coverage should I carry and what are the costs?

A minimum coverage limit of 2 million dollars per claim for PL is required and advised for CGL coverage. This limit may be satisfactory for most kinesiologists however, it is highly recommended that members consider purchasing coverage limits above the base level for the minimal additional cost. The increased protection provides an added level of protection and piece of mind.

For more information on the insurance coverage limit(s) you should carry or if you require higher limits than those posted, it is recommended you contact Prolink, a broker of your choosing or a lawyer specializing in professional liability claims, as the needs and requirements will vary depending on your areas of practice, clientele and other factors.

You can find additional valuable information on risk assessment provided by the Insurance Bureau of Canada here

2018 Rates

Professional Liability Coverage Limits & Premiums

Professional Liability
Per Claim Limit Aggregate Limit Annual Premium
$2,000,000 $3,000,000 $60
$3,000,000 $3,000,000 $72
$5,000,000 $5,000,000 $99








Commercial General Liability Coverage Limits & Premiums

Commercial General Liability
Per Claim Limit Aggregate Limit Annual Premium
$2,000,000 $2,000,000 $37
$3,000,000 $3,000,000 $50
$5,000,000 $5,000,000 $65








The above PL and CGL insurance premiums will be pro-rated for new and reinstating members based on when membership begins and insurance is purchased.

Pro-rate Table
Members Joining Between Premium Charged
January 1st to March 31st 100%
April 1st to June 30th 75%
July 1st to September 30th 50%
October 1st to December 31st 35%







For additional information on coverage please visit the Prolink website or e-mail Prolink.


How and when do I purchase insurance?

How and when do I purchase insurance?

The purchase of insurance through the group plan is in integrated into the online BCAK membership purchase/renewal system.

You will be provided the option during your membership purchase to either buy your insurance through Prolink or provide proof of already existing insurance. 

If you choose to purchase insurance, you will automatically be redirected to the Prolink website for purchase and then redirected back to the BCAK website to complete your membership purchase if you select this option. If for some reason you are not redirected back, please email the BCAK office to check and see if the transaction completely correctly.

If you already have insurance and choose not to purchase, you will be required to complete and submit an insurance verification form and email the office a copy of your existing insurance for inspection to ensure it meets the requiremetns of scope of practice.


Do I need to purchase insurance if I have coverage already?

Do I have to purchase insurance through the BCAK group policy?

No, you have the option to purchase insurance elsewhere. Insurance can be obtained through the preferred group provider or through an employer or another insurance broker of your choosing.

If you already carry Professional liability insurance that covers the scope of practice of kinesiology, you may submit a professional insurance verification form to the BCAK office. The form requires you to verify your insurance policy meets the BCAK's minimum policy limit requirements and covers the full scope of practice of kinesiology. If your existing coverage meets these requirements you may choose not to  purchase insurance through Prolink.

What are the specifics?

In order to be meet the requirements your insurance must cover all the areas of practice, and include coverage to work with both healthy and unhealthy populations.

  • Typically personal training insurance or insurance held through other organizations will be specific to that organization and may not cover the full scope of practice of kinesiology or working independently with unhealthy populations.

You must be download, complete and submit the Professional (E&O) Insurance Coverage Verification Form along with a copy of your insurace coverage sheet to the BCAK office for review and verification that it meets the requirements of the BCAK.

  • This process will result in a delay completing your membership or renewal activation as the form must be reviewed prior to activation of your new or renewal membership. If renewing, please submit the completed form at least 2 weeks prior to the renewal effective date to prevent any lapse in membership. 


How do I make changes to my insurance?

If you purchased your insurance through Prolink, the BCAK's group insurance provider, you should contact them directly for any changes related to your policy, including;

  1. Personal or businsess contact information
  2. Raising or lowering your coverage limits
  3. Adding CGL coverage
  4. Adding or changing additional insureds on your CGL policy

Please email Prolink Logo 2017directly or log into your Prolink account to make changes to your personal contact information or insurance coverage. 

Note: Online changes are limited and you may need to email or call Prolink toll free at 1-800-663-6828 for changes to your coverage or limits. 

Retirement or Changing Professions, does my professional insurance cover me?

Professional Liability insurance coverage is provided on a "claims made" basis, meaning that you must have valid insurance when a claim is made.

This differs from home, auto or most general liability insurance policies where the coverage is provided based on when a loss occurs or an "occurrence" basis. This difference can create a false sense of security for kinesiologists who retire or change careers, as the risk remains that a claim will be made against you after you have stopped working and are no longer a member or carry insurance.

What to do? The Prolink (Trisura) PL insurance policy offers extended discovery period coverage of 5 years from the time you retire (change careers) provide you contact them within 10 days of your retirement (leaving the industry) and inform them that you are retiring from the profession. Trisura advises that 5 years will be sufficient in most cases, however this should be discussed with the insurance broker and additional "extended discovery period" coverage purchased if appropriate.

The policy extension reads as follows;

Discovery Period
(A) If the Named Insured shall become a Retiree during the Policy Period, there shall be an automatic extension of the coverage granted by this Policy for a period of 60 months following the effective date of becoming a Retiree, but only for any Wrongful Act committed prior to the effective date of becoming a Retiree, and only if the Insurer is provided with written confirmation from the Named Insured specifying the date of becoming a Retiree within 10 days following the effective date of becoming a Retiree.


For additional assistance please contact Prolink insurance. Prolink Logo 2017

480 University Avenue, Suite 800
Toronto, Ontario
M5G 1V2

Can I get extended health benefits to cover myself and any employees I might have?

If you have purchased your professional liability insurance through the preferred group program offered by Prolink you are eligible to participate in a group extended health benefits program also. 

For additional information please see the Prolink website.